Monday, May 27, 2013

How Studying Abroad Changed the Way I Travel


by Melinda Cebula Harris  (current student at School Amici)

For three or four years I was a tourist. I would pack my bags and jet set to all the “must-see” locations of the world. Soon, I found my place of choice, Italy. I would go every summer and sightsee. It was wonderful, but on the crowded streets of Rome or Venice with my camera in one hand and my city map in the other, it was impossible to become acquainted with the true culture of the country. This is when I decided to learn the Italian language.
Melinda in Todi

My studies began close to home in Cincinnati, Ohio at School AMICI. I immediately felt at ease with my patient and gentle teacher from Calabria, Gerardo. Gerardo would entertain the class with stories of his Italian childhood, while teaching us the Italian ABCs, numbers, and basic grammar. School AMICI created a solid foundation, which for me was the key to my success in my subsequent studies abroad.

In 2012 I chose Todi, a tiny town perched upon a tall two-crested hill in central Italy, as my place of study. Experience had taught me that the smaller towns offered the most authentic experience. For three weeks I studied both privately and in whole group at La Lingua La Vita. My confidence and ability to speak Italian improved daily with the guidance of my teachers. What I loved most about La Lingua La Vita was the opportunities they created to interact with the local community. Through the school, I attended weekly cooking lessons hosted in the countryside home of Rita, a local Italian famed for her cooking. Rita spoke no English, so even when I was in doubt or my Italian confidence wavered; I had to rely on my language skills. This created many laughable moments as hand gestures and air drawings appeared to be games of charades rather than a group of girls learning the simple secrets of delicious Italian cuisine. 
Cooking with Rita

My mother, Linda, also a School AMICI student, had traveled with me to Todi. At first she was going to take the lazy lifestyle, taking a late morning espresso or a passeggiata (stroll) to the market… but something about La Lingua La Vita caught her attention and she enrolled on the very first day of classes. To my mother’s delight, her daily private lessons were held at a charming local café specializing in delicious fresh fruit gelato and strong Italian coffee. Her teacher, Antonella, quickly became a dear friend to both my mother and me inviting us to see the home she and her husband were building and to the church she so passionately loved. Our friendship with Antonella and her family continues to this day.
Melinda and her mother, with Antonella and daughter
Studying abroad changed my passion for traveling. I was no longer excited to see the sights but to know the Italian people and their way of life. These moments, these connections, these invitations into the lives of the Italian locals are exactly what had been missing in all my years of traveling as a tourist. It was the commonality of the Italian language that made these connections possible, and for this I will always be thankful for School AMICI and La Lingua La Vita.
 

A few notes of interest:
Todi has, by far, some of the most beautiful views I have seen in all of Italy. If possible, choose an apartment with a view of the countryside. As an added bonus if you travel in July, when Todi hosts an international ballooning competition, the sky is especially beautiful as colorful hot air balloons paint the sky.
If Italian cuisine temps your palate, you will not be disappointed. For such a small town I was delighted by the quality of all my dining experiences. Antica Osteria della Valle was my favorite.
And finally, I found Todi very friendly for people who might have trouble walking long distances. The school, small grocery, restaurants, and shops are within close proximity of each other, making this an ideal location for people of all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment