Monday, August 11, 2014

10 Ways I'm a Different Me in Italy

When I live in Italy for extended periods, the culture gradually seeps inside my skin until I think like "they" do.  Here are some examples:

1.  I eat fruit after every lunch and dinner.

2.  From the time I walk to the bus stop at the corner of 4th & Main and catch the TANK Express for the airport, when I am in Italy I never touch a private car.  We walk, ride a bike, catch a bus or take the train everywhere.  In no way do I feel even the slightest bit limited. Quite the opposite.  I feel free and enjoy the process of getting wherever I'm going so much more.

3. When I shop at Kroger's or Trader Joe's, I always have re-usable bags in the back of my car, but forget to bring them inside 95% of the time.  In Italy they charge 25 cents for a plastic bag and I never, ever, ever forget.  In fact, when I took a little trip to Parma this week, I made sure to pack a shopping bag.

4.   I use less energy.  Of course, I don't really have a choice.  Our apartment has a quota for electricity based on square meters.  At home I'm completely oblivious to how much energy it takes to run the dishwasher.  Here, if I forget and try to do laundry while the air-conditioner is running, the city cuts me off.  Literally.  Which is when I have to grab the key and run downstairs to the meter closet to flip the switch back to the "on" position.

5.  Michele and I go grocery shopping together, pulling our little grocery cart behind us.  That's what Italian couples do.  In fourteen years together in the United States, I think we might have accidentally ended up in Kroger's together twice - and it seemed like a colossal waste of time.

6.   In Cincinnati I put on a pot of traditional American coffee every morning.  In Italy I always drink espresso.

7.  Eggs for breakfast in Italy would be absurd.  I always eat a sweet pastry or cereal with milk.

8.  Walking is a form of entertainment and everyday Michele and I take a "passeggiata" in the late afternoon or after dinner to see what everybody else is doing in town, if there's a ship at the port, how long the lines are for gelato, whether the sea is calm or wavy, do a little window shopping.  It's social.

9.  By the end of our stay I am regularly using the bidet - not as often as the Italian ladies - but consistently - and it makes a lot of sense washing the dirtiest parts more often instead of taking so many showers.

10.  I own an iron and a drying rack in Italy and actually use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment