Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Lello's Hat

Lello, short for Raffaele, is my father-in-law.

Health problems and the language barrier make it difficult for my in-laws to visit us in Cincinnati anymore. But in the early days of our marriage, Michele would draft a list of fix-it projects to keep his father busy while he went to work during the day. Nobody in Southern Italy ever thinks to call a professional to do basic home maintenance and Lello can fix just about anything.

One day I looked out the window and did a double-take at a strange-looking man in our front yard who was painting the mailbox in his undershirt with a paper hat pulled down over his ears. That was the first time my neighbors and I saw Lello's work uniform, the same one he wore everyday in Napoli where he manufactured wooden tips for women's high heeled shoes. Made from sturdy wrapping paper such a hat would last for weeks and keep the sawdust out of his hair.

When we were in Italy last Christmas, I asked Michele to make a video of his dad because you never know when you might need to make a paper hat. And if you watch through to the end, you'll get a chance to hear Lello's very best English.

2 comments: